Halki, is a tiny island of Dodecanese, located very close to Rhodes. Not much developed in tourism, this is a perfect destination for peace and privacy. The island distinguishes for its traditional architecture and the relaxing beaches.
Halki has been inhabited since prehistoric times. For the origin of the name of the prevailing version is that it was named after the word ‘Calhoun’ or ‘Halki’, meaning purple. In the 14th century the Knights of Rhodes granted Halki to the Assanti family of Ischia as a fief. The Assanti family built their fort upon the ruins of the ancient acropolis. Amongst the coat of arms saved today is the coats of arms of the Grand Magister D¢ Aubusson (1476-1503), who rebuilt the fort after the catastrophic invasion of the Venetians. In the 19th century Halki island was under Turkish domination. Also in 1912 Halki, as did all the Dodecanese islands, came under Italian military dominance and in 1923 was politically subject to Italy as well. During the Second World War Halkite heroes, as was Lieutenant Alexandros Diakos and Captain Diogenes Fanourakis, brought glory to the island.
Important attraction of Halki island are Church of Agios Nikolaos, Medieval Castle and Nimporio which is the capital and main port of Halki.
There is relative large variety of restaurants in Halki where you can taste greek specialties. The most common local plates are Halki’s pasta (hand made with onions and feta or mizithra cheese), ofto (stuffed lamb), sweets made out Halki’s famous thyme honey.