The history of Lipsi island is strongly attached to the history of its neighbor islands across the sea line and especially that of Patmos. Just like the islands of Dodecanese, so the island of Lipsi are apparently inhabited since the prehistoric era continuously until today. Signs and vases were found on various places of the island dated back in the ancient times.
The majestic church of Aghios Ioannis, Theologos, situated next to the square of Town Hall and the Museum; in the church there is the icon of Panaghia the Mavri (Black Madonna) dating from 1500.
The Ecclesiastical-Folklore Museum, including some ecclesiastic relics and a small archaeological collection.
Panaghia of Haros, located just 1.5 km away from Lipsi town. This is the only icon in Greece, where the Virgin Mary is depicted holding in her arms the Crucified Jesus, instead of the Infant Jesus. The monastery as well as the icon dates from 1600.
Lipsoi have a long tradition in gastronomy, a very rich and highly diversified cuisine, featuring lots of dishes, pastries and beverages. Special emphasis is given on the development and promotion of local products, namely wine, olives, baby tomatoes, honey and fish. At many small restaurants you can taste specialties and fresh fish with local wine or ouzo with local mezes.